3/25/17

Triumph of Death: Mounted Death and Musician Greens


Death- coming soon to a Kickstarter near you!
Memento Mei- Remember me. Yeah, I'd remember...
Death Rides a Pale Green Horse 

Hot off the sculpting table! This grim smiling fellow, is based off of a drawing by Albrecht Durer, fabulously brought into 3d by the sculpting talents of Drew Day Williams. Death is going to be the first unlock stretch goal for my impendingly imminent Kick Starter.




We've designed the model to accept different arms. Currently  it comes with the traditional scythe and another outstretched arm holding an hour glass, giving you options of the flavor of commander you want to lead your undead legions (or get more than one and have lieutenants).

The Sound of Dooooom! 

Adding to my command pack choices is the horn player. Based unadbashidly off of Holbein's Totentanz wood cut of musicians, this herald of doom holds his period horn high.
The burial shroud works as a fashionable cloak/scarf.

During the renaissance it was very common to bury folks in a cloth shroud as opposed to a coffin. Because of this, the shroud is often depicted on the "undead" in paintings, drawings and woodcuts of the time.
Hans Holbein the Younger.


That's all for now- I've got to get back to finishing up a couple more units of deaders for Kickstarter goals.  Thanks for any feedback and for continuing to come visit my humble blog!

Cheers

Ths

10 comments:

  1. Wow. The rider is very good. Cheers, Karl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karl! I'm excited about him as well.
      Cheers
      Ths

      Delete
  2. Another batch of must have figures! I thought that first sketch was by Mervyn Peake at first glance..... surprising to see it dated 1505.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Springinsfeld- I can totally see the Mervyn Peake vibe you are talking about. Man- would love to do sculpts of some of his animals! This particular Durer is much looser than his usual work, being a pencil drawing- and I love it. Also you can totally see where WETA got the idea for the Witch King of Angmar.
      Cheers
      Ths

      Delete
  3. Great looking sculpts; I'll be keeping a gimlet eye open for your KS. How soon is soon btw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy Huscarle- thanks very much! Soon as in I'm waiting to hear back from KS folks as to when I can pull the trigger. There is a vetting process one must go through to start a Kickstarter.


      Cheers, keep tuned for more!
      Ths

      Delete
  4. Tordelback27 March, 2017

    That's the single best Death-on-a-nag I've ever seen. A must-have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tordelback (your name makes me smirk- awesome) I wish I could take credit, but this one was all in the magic of Albrecht Durer, and Drew Williams sculpt. I am super excited to get it cast and start painting it!
      Cheers
      Ths

      Delete